DNA Results Arrived... My Thoughts

Hi everyone, Kei here. Today I'm here to tell you that... our family's DNA results arrived!

We filmed a video to analyze the results, and the video will be up on my YouTube channel ASAP (I've been very busy with homework and preparing for driver's ed). I will be discussing the results in this post, and what they mean to me.

I was the first to check my results. They broke down like this:

My mom checked her results, which are as follows:

And here are my dad's results:


We were very surprised to find out that my mother was not 100% Han Chinese as previously believed. She did indeed have Japanese (the one minority that we had some suspicions of), but after that it was surprise after surprise (though the vast majority of these percentages were close to or exactly 0.1%). While Peruvian, Sri Lankan Tamil and Bengali had all appeared in my results, Mexican, Esan in Nigeria and North European had not (nor did Mom think she would have these roots at all).

We had suspected my father to be the most likely to have a mixed ethnicity. Surprisingly, he did not have any European like my mom had (we predicted it would be the other way around). However, he did have Gujarati and Indian, confirming that all the Indian ethnicity I had came from his side.

Overall, the ties to South America (specifically Peru, and Mexico for my parents) were the biggest surprise. We had considered the Western half of the world to be out of reach, so the fact that we all had Peruvian ancestry was a shock. We were also surprised that we were not as Han Chinese as previously thought, with huge percentages of Chinese Dai and Kinh Vietnamese.

Otherwise, the results were not surprising. Simple affirmation of our strong East Asian heritage.

I will say this slightly changed my view of myself. Rather than viewing myself as pure Chinese, I see myself as mostly Chinese with a smattering of other ethnicities, and heavily influenced by the Canadian culture I've lived with my whole life.

Comments

  1. Hey Kai! I just found your blog. It's amazing what DNA tests can say about ourselves and about previous generations. That's really cool that you got that done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who Am I? 15 Facts About Me

Developing True Unshakeable Confidence With God