Waiting For Our DNA Results

My name is Carrington, but you can also call me Kei. I'm 15 years old, and I live in Manitoba, Canada. I'm in the 10th grade, and I'm of full Han Chinese descent... or so I've been told. The truth is, me and my family don't really know anything about our genetic heritage. Very little is known about our ancestors. 

There is a story about my father's maternal side of the family, that may indicate some non-Chinese ancestry. It's said that my great-grandfather was looking through his family tree, and found lineage that traced back to Siberia (Russia?) and Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, etc.) Unfortunately, we can't confirm that this story is true, since back then being mixed-race wasn't exactly considered something to be proud of, especially in Asia. So great-grandpa just stopped looking. Dang it. 

I really wanted to find out more about my ethnic background, especially as I've often had people ask me if I was something other than Chinese... I've been asked if I was half-Asian and half-white, half-Asian and half-Hispanic (yeah, what a surprise), Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Filipino, Thai, Indonesian... you name it. I talked with my parents, and it turned out that they had just as many questions as I did. So we decided to get our DNA tested by CRI Genetics to find out more. 

We are currently waiting on our results, but they should be here in a few weeks! As soon as I get the results, I will be analyzing them and describing what it means to our family now that we know these results. 

Stay tuned for more updates (including some more info on me!)

- Kei

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Am I? 15 Facts About Me

Developing True Unshakeable Confidence With God

DNA Results Arrived... My Thoughts